The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (National Center for Scientific Research) is a public organization under the responsibility of the French Ministry of Education and Research.
Founded in 1939 by governmental decree, CNRS has the following missions:
- To evaluate and carry out all research capable of advancing knowledge and bringing social, cultural, and economic benefits for society.
- To contribute to the application and promotion of research results.
- To develop scientific information.
- To support research training.
- To participate in the analysis of the national and international scientific climate and its potential for evolution in order to develop a national policy.